Monday, January 15, 2007

Longest Year Ever

It’s only 15 days into 2007, but I already know it’s going to take forever to pass, and I’ll be counting the days. The thing is, I have a problem with odd-numbered years. Basically since high school, the odd years have sucked.

It all starts with 1999 and that whole meningitis thing. That, along with a bad break-up, sort of put a damper on that year.

Then there was 2001 when I felt trapped in a dead-end relationship, and Chase and I spent half the year living with a whiny hypochondriac. We spent the other half living with an unpleasant exchange student who bathed in the sink and brought home things found in the Dumpster.

Next was 2003, which featured an anti-climatic final semester of college during which time I was miserable in Missouri while Chris was in New York. I spent the summer living alone before moving to Syracuse in the fall. With an English degree and a Journalism degree from “the best journalism school in the country,” I spent most of the rest of the year unemployed or working at the mall.

And finally we have 2005, when I spent most of the year with an unfulfilling job, and Chris spent most of the year studying for the bar and looking for a job, which made him not exactly fun to be around.

Meanwhile, the even-numbered years have been the complete opposite.

First, there was 2000 when I got to do all kinds of fun bridesmaid things for my sister’s wedding. That year was also the only time in my life I spent dating. Previously (and since then), I’ve a serial long-term relationshipper. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but dating that year was fun and different.

In 2002, I met Chris. In addition, for the first half of the year, I was the editor of a school newspaper, and during the second half of the year, I was in Europe.

2004 featured my still-favorite job to date working for a weekly newspaper in Syracuse. I also traveled to Las Vegas and New Orleans for the first time in 2004. And last, but certainly not least, that was also the year we adopted Rosie.

Finally, 2006 saw my wedding, the birth of my nephew, a new job and a promotion.

So it’s with some trepidation that I enter 2007. Maybe I’m just being superstitious. Or maybe the fact that my internet hasn’t been working right for the past few weeks and my worse-than-normal accumulation of black heads is an indication of what’s to come in 2007. What else could this year have in store for me? I’m too terrified to think about it.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

No worries. Besides, the bad break-up I was referring to was J-Lo and Puff Daddy. I was really torn up when they split that year. I didn't get out of bed, for like, days.