Wednesday, January 25, 2006

And a garland of fresh herbs...

So, I’m getting married. The planning process is way more complicated than I thought. The problem is, I don’t have any strong feelings about things. I’m not one of those girls who starting planning her wedding when she was six. As a result, I don’t have a lot of direction. People say things such as, “So, how are you going to wear your hair?” And I’m like, “um, on my head…?”

But, there were a few things I was sure about before getting into this process. For starters, I wanted to wear my mom’s dress. I’m not typically a traditional kind of gal, but that’s one tradition I like. Luckily, it actually fits. My mom was 19 when she got married.

Second, I also knew that in the end, I just want the wedding to be fun. I have no desire to have a fancy wedding. In fact, I originally planned to have Italian beef and deep-dish pizza catered in for the reception, but Dad wasn’t too thrilled about that plan. Chris, on the other hand, thought it was a great idea, which is why I’m marrying this man.

Finally, I had my mind made up on this: no Top 40. No P-Diddy. No Britney. No Nelly. Nobody wants to see grandma get down to 50 Cent. I also don’t want any of that YMCA-crap either. Instead, I’m having a local blues/Motown band play the reception. Sorry kids, no hokey-pokey dance or lame ass Conga lines.

That’s pretty much it. The planning’s progressing, but there’s still stuff I have no idea about. (I have to hire a florist? Wha?) If anyone out there has any suggestions for cheap wedding ideas – my fiancé might be a lawyer, but student loans are a bitch – please pass them my way. Cheers!

No comments: