Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The food that moves

In my quest to not only lose weight, but also eat better, I’ve been trying to meet all my “daily recommended” values. So far, I’ve had no problem consuming the right amount of calories, carbs, vitamins, fats, etc. However, the area that I can’t measure up is fiber. According to my guidelines, I’m supposed to eat 25 grams of fiber everyday. Do you have any idea how difficult this is?

I started by buying some Bran Flakes, fruit and whole-wheat bread. But a bowl of Bran Flakes only has a measly 7 grams of fiber. An apple? Only 4. And a slice of whole wheat bread has so few grams of fiber, it might as well not exist.

If I actually wanted to get my 25 grams of fiber a day, I’d have eat nothing but prunes and beans for every meal. And by that point, who’d care if I were fit and healthy? I’d have such horrendous gas that no one would be able to stand in my presence.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would still be around even if you ate prunes five times a day. Actually, I would make innovative prune recipes, including such timeless favorites as coq aux prunes, prunes marsala, and my personal favorite prune etouffee.