Wednesday, April 22, 2009

10 Years Ago

Yesterday was my 10-years-toeless anniversary.

I meant to write some reflective post about how much my life has changed in those 10 years, or how grateful I am to be alive, or a self-congratulatory "I rock" kind of thing. But my current life—the one I'm living in 2009, not 1999—got in the way. Chris and I had to get up early for the delivery of our new fridge yesterday morning; then we both needed to get to the office early; I was super busy at work and didn't have a chance to even think about my blog; I worked late; got home; let out the dog; made dinner; almost forgot to take my prenatal vitamin; organized the new fridge; and then before I knew it, I was snoozing in front of the Cubs game on the couch.

Yesterday pretty much sums up my 2009 life: I'm married, I have a great job, I own a house, I have a dog, I'm pregnant, I'm still a Cubs fan, and most nights, I fall asleep on the couch by 9:30.

In other words, I'm normal. And although once upon a time, that would have been the most repulsive thing I could have said about myself, these days, I'm OK with normal.

So that's my big, reflective 10-year-anniversary post. I've written enough posts about meningitis and its affect on my inner psyche, what I've learned about myself, how I've become a better person, blah, blah, blah.

Today, all I want to say is this: My life is normal and boring, and surprisingly, that doesn't make me want to vomit.

8 comments:

R.J. said...

Nothing wrong with normal, Sarah. Also, congrats on the upcoming kid.

Anonymous said...

My Dear Daughter,

Just think of it this way, the meningitis put you at Mizzou for a bit longer than originally planned. If you weren't in Columbia in 2001, you wouldn't have met my son. You would have spent the rest of your life longing for something you would never have, your true soulmate.
Fate is funny that way. Heaven knows what price to put upon her goods.
Tell Christopher to take good care of you and your little one.

See you soon,

Mommy Marji

Michelle O'Hagan said...

Hi Sarah,

I just spent the last 15-20 minutes reading this post (and the related links). WOW! It is incredible that you went through all of that. It's funny how you we an image of people in our minds when, really, there is always so much more to the story. Everyone has a story, a history, that makes them who they are. Most of us don't talk about it that much; certainly we don't write about it as eloquently as you have. It is these experiences that really make us appreciate being "normal." :-)

Eliane said...

Sarah,

All I can say is WOW! You made me cry. A couple of weeks ago, I saw your toeless feet for the first time, and thought, "Good lord, you must have been through so much. It must have been so terrible for you (and your loved ones.)" But I never really knew. Seeing you today you'd never know that 'that' was your amazing story. Your resilience is as remarkable as your story. Congratulations on finding contentment with normalcy :)

E

highnumber said...

Hey - yer "The Toeless Wunder!"

highnumber said...

And, for what it's forth, I don't think you have any claim on being normal. :)

Toph said...

What do you mean you don't have toes? I never noticed.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah,

I don't know if you remember me but I lived in FARC my freshman year and am friends with Clare and Diana. I often read your blog from Clare's links and I've always wanted to tell you how much you and your fight inspired me.

Since college, I have had several heart surgeries, two of which left me in the ICU for 62 days. The doctors thought I was going to have to have a heart transplant. I ultimately came through it and made what was described as an amazing recovery.

Being in the hospital that long and knowing that you are fighting for every day is a hard story to convey. I really think only the people who have been through a similar situation are the ones who can really understand.

I, too, am now glad to be "normal." :-)

Kristen (Hendricks) Miller