Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Self-portrait Tuesday

This month's Self-Portrait Tuesday challenge is "all of me."

February Challenge "all of me" - embrace your mistakes, love the ugly bits.

These are my feet.


It’s hard to walk barefoot.


This is the ugly part.



Chances are you already know about my toelessness. If not, you can read the long version (and by long, I mean really long). Here’s the short version: Freshman year of college (in 1999), I got bacterial meningitis. Lost my toes. Got lots of scars. Stayed in hospital for three months.

Chances are you know my meningitis story because I talk about it too much. At least I used to. After I recovered and came back to school, I talked about my experience ad nauseam. I couldn’t help it. I was dealing with normal people, normal girls that would be able to wear skirts and sandals and high heels for the rest of their lives, and I wanted to scream in their faces when they looked at me funny for wearing long pants and sneakers in July. I felt like I had to tell everyone my story. “Don’t you know what I’ve been through?” “Aren’t you proud of me for having the courage to move on?”

I could tell when my friends were getting sick of me, but I couldn’t drop it. I hated myself for rehashing it, but something compelled me to continue talking about it. I fed off people’s sympathy and admiration.

Two years after I got sick, I was in a magazine writing class, and I finally kicked my habit. I finally learned that everyone has a story. Everyone has been through something difficult. Some students had attempted suicide. Some had parents going through a divorce. Some developed lumps in their breasts at age 20. Some were single parents. Everyone had a story, and no one was all that special. It was in this class I finally wrote about my story. I was supposed to write about another topic, but one night while suffering from writer’s block, I let all the events of my freshman year fall on the page. I jotted down all the things I wanted to scream to people, all the stuff my friends and roommates had to listen to for the past two years. And then I was done. Writing was my therapy.

After that, I rarely spoke of my incident. I lived in London for four months, and my two flat mates never knew about my story. I would sneak past them when I was barefoot so they wouldn’t see my feet. I never showed my scars. It wasn’t until two years later when I was at one flat mate’s wedding that the other realized I had scars on my legs.

I had finally realized that the most significant event in my life didn’t need to be shoved in people’s faces. But here I am, writing about it in my blog, shoving it in everyone’s face again. That’s the ugly bit, not my disfigured feet or my scarred legs. The ugly bit is my constantly yapping mouth.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's interesting because I haven't heard you talk about it all that much.

But I will be broadcasting it via the SPT site tomorrow.

Get ready.

liz elayne lamoreux said...

i am so thankful to have linked to your story through SPT. through your writing other people will learn and realize they are not alone. thank goodness for your yapping mouth...your honesty is beautiful.
i look forward to reading more of your blog...

Diz Rivera said...

Before I read the last lines, I was thinking, it's not the feet that are the ugly bits -- it was how hard the healing was. And still that's not ugly either. You were just recovering anyway you could, and I'm sure the consta yap got you through.

Sandy's Space said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sandy's Space said...

It's important to get the story out. My husband died 3 years ago. When we first met it was love at first sight, we were together for 25 years. For the last three years I have been telling the story, first about his death, then about our life together, then about my sadness, then about how much I missed him. Then one day I said, enough, because the story had become one to get attention and it was then that I knew that it was time to move on. I think it is all a part of the healing.

But what is most important and I am sure you can relate to this, is that in experiencing a tragic event and telling your story as a survivor, you help others to realize that they too can survive whatever difficult experience they may encounter. You pass on hope and believe that we all can be strong and learn to adapt to the life we have after the experience.

Never stop telling your story, you never know when it might touch someone to the core!

Sandy

Sarah said...

I love all of you for posting comments here. It helps me find that happy median for talking about my story.

Sandy: Thank you so much for sharing here. You totally get it. "The story had become one to get attention." I've felt that way too. It's so nice to know I'm not alone in that.

Kim Carney said...

I salute you, your spt is a wonderful story of courage and honesty. I think you need to tell your story. Many forget things change your life forever, and need to be reminded.

Anonymous said...

I guess I would be one of those people you just helped with your story. It made me look at my own body, which is not exactly put together the way it should be, and realize that I can still be beautiful, regardless of the scars. I'm not ready to show them to the world yet, but you've helped me see that they're not all there is of me.

I think the ugly part would be if you STOPPED telling your story.

Deborah said...

Bravo. This self portrait in images and words is one of the most poignant I have ever seen.Thank you for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

I like your story, and I like that you feel you're more than the-story-of-your-feet. Thanks for sharing. It's a hard place to be, balancing the 'yapping' and the 'there's more to me than this'.

Anonymous said...

hi sarah
I read your story and cried for you. My sister was one of the unlucky ones who did not get a chance to fight the disease it was too fast. You are amazing and your feet are not who you are.Thank you for sharing your heart.
Lorraine
Australia

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah...
I had a miscarriage two months ago, and I guess I'm still in the yapping stage. It's hard to take out the adjectives and the details as I write this short note -- they have been my way of explaining (to others? to myself?) things (feelings? behaviors?) that intrude on the normal life that appears to go on around me. Early on, I wrote to a friend that I was waiting for this to become part of the past, or maybe just to fade into who I am. It sounds like this has happened in a positive way for you. Thank you for telling your story; it's given me a different perspective.

Anonymous said...

My Darling Daughter,

There is no part 0f you that is ugly to me. You are a most beautiful soul with wisdom beyond your years upon this earth. You are the heart to whom my son clings. You are the love of his life and as such you have become a part of my heart and soul.

There is much pain in this world. As I have told you in the past, Heaven knows what price to put upon her good. Those of us who have endured must continue to make safe the world for those who have yet to suffer similiar disasters in their lives. It is our mission.

I salute and love you, Sarah, you are my hero.

Mommy Marji