Monday, February 13, 2006

Finally where I want to be

That's my style guide flying over Michigan Avenue

When I was in college, I knew that I wanted to work in Chicago at a magazine. And I knew that given Chicago’s magazine market, chances were I’d end up at a trade publication.

Now, nearly three years since graduation, I finally got there. Last month, I started my new job as a copy editor for a group of trade publications in Chicago. However, my trip to this point was a little different than I expected (moving to Upstate New York rather than Chicago after graduation was a minor twist). I don’t regret any of my choices getting here. I loved my first job out of college as a reporter, then editor, at a weekly metropolitan newspaper. Leaving that job and moving to Chicago was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do, even though I knew it was right for me.

My second job as a reporter for a group of bi-weeklies in the suburbs was a blast, but the long hours, commute and late meetings became too much to bear. Living with someone who’s an incredible cook, but never being home for dinner, is not fun.

Finally, I landed here. I can take public trans to the office. I’m working in my chosen field. I still get to write occasionally for publication. When I’m not writing for press, I have this blog. And most importantly, I’m home by 5:30. For the first time since graduation, I have a life outside my job.

All this, and the view from my desk ain’t too shabby either.

2 comments:

Winter and Wine Markets said...

what a delight to read your blog. i hope to keep up with it on a regular basis. thanks for sharing.

Lylou

Anonymous said...

you are an AMAZING woman. i've read your account of your illness, and what you've been through...and am happy to see the light at the end of that tunnel. you go, girl!!!!!! x nina