Thursday, February 16, 2006

Well, I hope your babies look like monkeys

Remember that part of Romy and Michelle’s High School Reunion when Michelle has a dream that she stands up to the A group and somehow knows the formula for glue? (“First, you need to thermoset your resin…”) I totally had one of those dreams last night! Except instead of the formula for glue, it was the intricacies of No Child Left Behind, and instead of the A group, it was President Bush.

In my dream, I was at Chris’s law school graduation again, and for some reason Bush was attending (except it didn’t look like Bush, even though it was him. You know how dreams are like that?) Anyway, I went up to Bush and told him that NCLB was an absolute failure, and I went on to describe all the problems with the law (stuff I can’t remember now but in my dream sounded golden!) I said stuff like, “You can’t honestly expect schools to improve based on a punitive funding system.”

Then I went on to describe the funding woes of the Syracuse City School District and how so much of its limited funding goes toward heating and maintaining its 80+-year-old buildings. Somehow, in my dream, I also remembered specifics about the district’s budget as well as what percentage of its funding comes from the city, state and federal government.

Then, after telling off the prez, I walked around a high-fived all of Chris’s law school friends. Then I woke up.

Weird, huh?

1 comment:

cmccown said...

Uhmmm ok!!!