Thursday, February 23, 2006

Been dancing with Mr. Brownstone

Most pre-teen girls have obsessions. In my day, some girls were obsessed with boy bands (NKOTB). Some were obsessed with famous pre-teen boys (JTT). And some were obsessed with television shows (90210).

When I was a pre-teen, I was obsessed with Guns N’ Roses.

And it’s not really fair to say it was a pre-teen obsession because the fascination lasted right into my teen years and beyond. I used to know each band member’s birthday. In sixth grade my homeroom teacher made me wear my explicit GNR t-shirt inside out. When other girls my age were experimenting with blue eye shadow and hanging out at the mall, I was dancing around my house in a do-rag and plaid skirt, ala Axl in the” Live and Let Die” video.



I learned how to play "November Rain" on the piano. I knew all the words to all the songs, even the bad ones. I hung countless Axl and Slash posters around my room. My mother was horrified.

But sadly, GNR’s fame didn’t last. After the "Use Your Illusion" releases, the band pretty much disappeared as grunge took over the rock scene. I never even bought its last album, the critically lambasted, cover-tune collection The Spaghetti Incident?

Although I still listen to GNR on occasion, I haven’t given much thought to the band recently. That is until today, when I read this. It looks like my all-time favorite band might have a comeback. And if this new album is even half as good as Appetite for Destruction, I might have to pull out the do-rag, plaid skirt and explicit t-shirts again. And I’m sure Chris won’t mind if I plaster our bedroom walls with posters of the GNR gang. I mean, who wouldn’t want to wake up to Axl Rose’s skinny legs every morning?

No comments: