Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Sarah Pot Pie

Saturday was my three-month anniversary, and yesterday was the first time I have worked out since the big day. It was pathetic, but it felt great. Attempting to run for any length of time was a joke, but I still managed to at least stay on the treadmill for 20 minutes, even though I walked for most of that and barely broke a sweat. And despite the fact that this workout featured very little “work,” I am super sore today. That’s a good sign, I suppose.

It’s amazing how quickly I fell out of all the good habits I formed pre-wedding. A lot of that is due to my job. I feel like I am just now beginning to catch up from the two weeks I took off for my honeymoon. Granted, since the wedding we’ve increased our department by two people, which I had to interview and hire, and we’ve had two people leave — one which I had to replace and one that was my boss. So, it’s been a bit crazy ’round here, and I’ve struggled to leave early enough everyday to get home and walk the dog, let alone have time to workout.

Still, I could have gone to the gym on the weekends. And a heavy workload does not excuse my all pasta-cheese-and-fried-food diet of late. That I blame on the weather. During the summer, I had no problem eating a salad for lunch or dinner. But now, with the wind and the snow and the air, all I want is a heaping bowl of warm gooey fried cheese comfort food.

For example, after Thanksgiving we froze most of our turkey leftovers, and on Sunday I finally turned those leftovers into a meal. I made this lovely Paula Deen turkey pot pie recipe that has been busy clogging my arteries for the past two days. For those of you unfamiliar with Paula Deen, all of her recipes follow a similar theme: cook some fat, add some more fat, cover it all with sugar.

Her turkey pot pie recipe was no exception: cook some cheddar cheese soup and cream of celery soup, add some turkey and stuffing, cover it all with pie crust.

And it’s amazing. And comforting. And about 800 calories per serving. I had three.

So it’s back to the gym I go — that familiar place that’s comforting in its own way .. even though one of the four TVs is always, without fail, tuned to the Food Network. Ever try working out while watching Unwrapped? I don’t recommend it.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

Dude, I totally made a Paula Deen recipe for Thanksgiving this year. It was called "Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake." Do you even want to know how many sticks of butter it required?