Monday, March 24, 2008

Cream of Poblano Soup



About a year ago or so, my sister and I tried cream of poblano soup at El Tapatio, a little Mexican restaurant located near our hair dresser. It’s was one of those food experiences that you think about over and over again — spicy, warm, comforting, creamy, cheesy, crunchy soup. Basically, a foodgasm.



Since then, I’ve searched the Internet far and wide searching for a recipe that resembles the restaurant’s. After trying out a few I found and tested on my then-pregnant friends, I finally landed on one that’s pretty darn close. It’s spicy and creamy and cheesy, and the tortilla chip adds a nice crunch. I feel like, compared to the restaurant version, it’s still missing a little something-something I can’t put my finger on. Or maybe I just enjoyed it more in the restaurant because, unlike the home version, it followed a large margarita and didn’t come with all that related-dishwashing baggage.



Cream of Poblano Soup with Cheese Crust
Adapted from Soup Song

1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon butter
3 medium poblano peppers, seeded and chopped
2 onions, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 large potato, chopped
1/2 cup whipping cream (or yogurt)
1 Tablespoon cilantro, chopped
8 large tortilla chips
1 cup of Monterrey Jack cheese, grated

Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan. Add peppers, onions and carrots and sauté slowly for 5 minutes. Stir in the stock, add the diced potatoes, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

Remove from heat and puree in a blender (I used an immersion blender. Greatest. Invention. Ever.), solids first to get a smooth texture. Return to the pot. Add the cream and season with salt to taste.

When ready to serve, bring to simmer and stir in the cilantro. Ladle into oven-proof bowls, top with 2 tortilla chips, sprinkle with cheese and run under the broiler. Top each bowl with a cilantro leaf and take to the table.

No comments: