Tuesday, July 01, 2008

The Housing Situation

Remember how I said that we were buying our house and not moving? Right after I posted that, Chris was all, “it’s too early to post that,” and “stuff could still fall through,” and “you spilled diet 7-Up on your face.”

I hate when he’s right.

So, we got through the whole offer-counter-offer-counter-counter-offer thing, mortgage pre-approval thing, and then we came to the inspection thing. Turns out, the house is in great shape, expect that everything needs to be replaced. The roof, all the plumbing, all the electrical. So, although we already live a pit of debt, thanks to five college degrees between the two of us, from which we shall never surface, the idea of adding not just a mortgage, but also an additional 50 grand or so repairing the entire mortgaged house sounded like a great idea, we walked away.

Now we’re hunting again. We were, and possibly still are, close to going under contract on another place. I purposely haven’t mentioned it here for fear of jinxing our housing plans again. But despite my lack of posting, shit’s still messed up. The current place we’re interested in is in foreclosure, which means the bank, its advisors, the CEO, the board, the president, your mom and Condoleezza Rice all have to approve the offer before we can move forward. Basically, they told us that we might know if they accept our offer sometime this month. Maybe.

Normally, I am a very patient person, but when it comes to the place I will live in and pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for over the next 30 years, I get a little antsy for a response. Plus, we don’t know if we should keep looking or wait for this place. This is all very frustrating.

On the plus side, on Sunday Chris and I watched the Euro 2008 finals at an awesome German bar where the yummy food and weiss beer was plentiful. Germany lost (bummer), but at least the grub was good.

1 comment:

Hoffa said...

I don't understand . . . my mom already said it was cool!