Sunday, August 24, 2008

Soda-Free, week one (or maybe that should read "weak one")

So, the soda-free week has been a bit challenging so far. Actually, it's harder than I expected. I really, really want a soda. Right now. I think weekends may be the most difficult.

On week days, it's just the afternoons that are killing me. Especially when I have something salty for lunch. Water just isn't cutting it.

At home, I've been drinking juice diluted with water. It's pretty good, actually. Although, I find that what I miss most about soda is the bubbles. I've thought about buying carbonated water, but I feel like that's not solving the problem. You see, part of why I wanted to quit soda in the first place is because of the pop effect on my recycling bin. As in, it's constantly overflowing with cans. Even though I recycle, I'm still creating a lot of waste. Which is also the reason I don't buy bottled water. I need to just be OK with tap water, or in the case of the office, H20 from the water cooler. So, switching to carbonated water really doesn't solve that problem.

Another problem: booze. I am a huge, huge 7&7 fan. Pretty hard to keep drinking those when one of those 7s is off limits. I realize that eventually, I'm going to quit this quitting. But I just need to go soda-free long enough that I'm no longer addicted. Not sure how long that'll take. Long enough that I don't think about a cold can of bubbly a few times a day.

Considering how hard this is, I'm SO glad I never started smoking.

No comments: