Thursday, March 05, 2009

9 Links, March 5

1. IL Senate race begins. I thought Alexi might be more interested in becoming Illinois Governor. But now that Blago's out and Quinn seems to be doing well enough (so far) to possibly secure the Democratic primary, Alexi's off to the Senate.

2. Hot property. The folks at the Tribune think this is a bad time for the CTA to sell off its property, given the state of the real estate market. I dunno. If I hadn't just bought a house, I'd be interested in buying something closer to the train and cutting my daily round trip commute by 20 to 40 minutes.

3. In case you're not already in love with Jon Stewart. Jon sticks it to that Santelli fella, along with the rest of CNBC. Watch the full 8 minutes. You will not be disappointed.

4. And some more videos. My co-worker lent me this awesome DVD recently of really strange and hilarious TV clips. You kind of have to watch it to get it. Or you can just check out this Web site to get a taste.

5. Puff puff. Medical marijuana might be coming to Illinois. Here's my favorite quote from this story:

"David Jocson, statewide drug enforcement coordinator with the Illinois State Police, opposed the bill because he said marijuana is not an FDA-approved medication and because allowing people using cannabis for medicinal purposes would make it easier for others to obtain."


Right. Because it's really hard to get now.

6. Twitter Peraica. We might be on opposite sides of the political spectrum, but I kinda love this guy.

7. This is kind of ridiculous. There's a huge difference between police brutality and a citizen complaint against a cop. I can't figure out why this list is even needed in this case. A woman is suing the city because a cop supposedly used excessive force while arresting her kids. So, how does this list relate? If the cop's name is on the list, that proves he beat up her kids? I'm no lawyer, but I can't imagine how this would hold up in court. Fortunately, my hubby is a lawyer: Honey, help me out here. Am I missing something?

8. Missouri munchies. Sure, Mizzou may have lost horribly to KU last week, but you know what? One of our future alums invented beer-flavored popcorn. So there.

9. Oh yeah, and we beat the crap out of No. 5 Oklahoma last night.

No comments: