Thursday, March 23, 2006

I am such a girl

I’ve always been proud of the fact that I’m not like most girls. I love baseball. I hate Julia Roberts movies. And when it comes to raunchy jokes, I can usually top even the grossest guys. But being un-girly has its downside too. My whole life I’ve had trouble making female friends. Growing up, my only memory playing with Barbie dolls involves using one to give my best friend her first bloody nose. And when it comes to fashion, hair and make-up, I’m totally clueless.

So it came as a bit of a surprise last night when I bawled after finishing the book “The Time Traveler’s Wife.” And I don’t mean just shed a few tears. I. Totally. Bawled. Chris held me while I sobbed on his shoulder. The book isn’t even that sad. It’s a love story, and more than anything I was crying because it was so beautiful.

Then this morning, while sitting at my desk trying to concentrate on work, I couldn’t stop thinking about my sister who’s due with her first baby next week. I kept daydreaming about what he or she might look like, holding him or her for the first time … and then came the waterworks. I grabbed tissue and pretended to cough and have allergies so no one would think I was one of those girls who cries all the time. You know, the ones that fan at their faces with their hands while trying to hold back tears (what’s up with that?).

So, I guess I’m a girly girl after all. Well, sort of. I don’t foresee any Nicholas Sparks novels or Kelly Clarkson CDs in my immediate future. But what the hell, I love the Indigo Girls and I’ve seen Steel Magnolias more than once. But that’s only because I can’t stop laughing when Julia Roberts goes into diabetic shock. What, you thought I was going to say I cried at the end? Oh please. Barf.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find it amusing. Men are supposed to be made out of steel or something. I just sat there. I just held Shelby's hand. There was no noise, no tremble, just peace. Oh god. I realize as a woman how lucky I am. I was there when that wonderful creature drifted into my life and I was there when she drifted out. It was the most precious moment of my life.

Anonymous said...

nah, you sound pregnant.

Sarah said...

Okay Holly, I deserved that.

For the record, I am not pregnant. At least I don't think I am. I'm just having a wacky hormone day or something. Um, I'll keep you posted.

Sarah said...

Oh Kevin, the only person crying at my wedding will be you when you see Seth and Mora happy together and you realize his heart will never belong to you.

Sarah said...

Yep, definitely not pregnant, in case you all wanted to know.