Thursday, February 01, 2007

Chicago's It Girl

Last week, I convinced myself to go out one night, alone. Mediabistro.com and Oprah.com hosted this networking event for folks who work in Web publishing. I do a little Web publishing at my job, but mostly, I was digging the free drinks and totally wanted to meet Oprah.

She wasn't there.

Jerk.

Anyway, although I didn't get to meet The Big O, I did get to meet Laurel Touby, founder of Mediabistro.com. I even got her business card. So we're like, best friends now.

Don't believe me? See for yourself!

Here's Laurel...




and here's me, doing what I do best...




...staking claim to the food table.

You see, the quesadillas we're REALLY good. And, well, I knew NO ONE and I felt super awkward. Me and small talk do not get along. This is why I can't make new friends. What am I supposed to say? "Oh my god, you have brown hair?!?! Me too! What are the odds? Want to be my new best friend? ... Please?..."

But after a glass of wine or three, I opened up and started chatting up some people, got some cards, did the whole networking thang. I even ran into a woman I used to work with when I interned for a local athletic magazine. I don't think she remembered me at first, and for some reason, I could remember every little detail of her life that summer, so I'm pretty sure I freaked her out.

But hey, at least I made some headway on a New Year's resolution. (Be more social? Check. Eat more vegetables? Eh, not so much...)

4 comments:

Pensive Girl said...

wow. ms. mediabistro has on some crazy pants.

i'm bad BAD at social chit-chat, too. 3 glasses of wine might put me over the edge into embracing networking though. good job going by yourself!!! that is inspiring. for real.

Anonymous said...

I recently went to a party for a online magazine I've freelanced for and I didn't know anyone there either. I felt like a big dork but a guava margarita got me going. One of these days I'll have to go to one of the mediabistro events in NYC.

Melinda said...

Omygod I HATE networking. But if you had called me, I'm not saying I WOULDN'T have come along and scammed on the free food...

Sarah said...

Dude, don't be that guy.