Wednesday, April 02, 2008

I Need Fiction

I finished "The Devil in the White City" a few weeks ago, and now I really need another book to read. Because riding the bus without reading material or an iPod is basically pure torture.

I tend to read a lot more non-fiction than fiction, but after a while my brain gets too full of facts and history, and I need a good story to read that doesn't require me accept that this stuff happened to real people.

I've been meaning to read "Then We Came to the End," but I also have a habit of only reading books about or set in Chicago (i.e. Devil, "The Time Traveler's Wife," "Crossing California," "The Washington Story," "No More Prisons"). Although Chicago is the greatest city ever and is undeniably the center of the universe (If you don't believe me, you should totally read "The Devil in the White City" because pretty much everything you've ever eaten, experienced and thought about is attributable to the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago), I should probably read books set in other cities, too.

Got any suggestions? Read anything that's fiction, not set in Chicago, and preferably never been described as "heart-warming" or "as seen on Oprah's Book Club"? Send 'em my way, please.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also just read "Devil" after having been lent it like five years ago. I basically only read non-fiction, so I'm in the same boat as you right now.

I'm waiting to get my copy of the Bret Hart book right now.

Dave

Melinda said...

Hmm. I just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns. It was a pretty quick read and was well-written, but only read it if you are not easily depressed, because DUDE. The husband is reading it now (on the El, no less) and the other day he came home and said "if anyone else dies in this book, there aren't going to be any characters left."

Did I just give something away?