Friday, June 16, 2006

Being alone is bad for my health

I’ve never been one of those people that had to be with someone, or one of those girls who totally changed once she got a boyfriend. When I was single (oh my, it’s been four years since I was last unattached), I was perfectly happy. And since I’ve been with Chris, I feel like I’m still me. I don’t feel like I’ve changed all that much. However, I recently realized that while living with Chris for the past few years, I’ve fallen into some habits … some healthy habits.

For the past week I’ve been house/dog sitting for my aunt and uncle. Meanwhile Chris has been at home taking care of Rosie. So, for the past week, we haven’t seen each other. When I first agreed to house/dog sit, both Chris and I were looking forward to a little vacation away from each other. It’s not that we don’t get along. But rather, occasionally it’s nice to be alone for a while, you know?

Anyway, not living with Chris for a week has meant that I’ve had to cook for myself. Generally, I’m not a bad cook, but Chris does most of the cooking. He enjoys cooking, and I enjoy eating, so it all works out. Typically, he makes me chicken or salmon, salad and vegetables.

Now, I should have used this week to learn to cook healthy things for myself. My aunt and uncle have a well-stocked house. I mean, they have every kind of food imaginable, and lots of it. They do all of their grocery shopping at Costco, so they buy everything in bulk. And by “bulk,” I mean they’ve got about 40 cans of tomatoes and 20 boxes of Nutri-Grain bars in their pantry, just to name a few items. So, with every possible ingredient at my disposal, what have I whipped up for dinner this week? Donuts and American cheese.

Everyday I get home from work starving, and I immediately scarf down a few donut gems and raid the awesome, plastic, American-cheese-dispenser thing they have. Then I eat dinner. My diet has gotten progressively worse over the past five days. This is what I’ve had for dinner for the past week:

Monday: Tuna salad sandwich. Three slices of American cheese.
Tuesday: Bowl of Frosted Flakes. Doritos. Two slices of American cheese.
Wednesday: Half a Home Run Inn frozen pizza. Two donut gems. Two slices of American cheese.
Thursday: Two donut gems. Three slices of American cheese. 7Up.

If you can believe it, I had a bit of a stomach ache Thursday night after my donut-cheese ritual, so I didn’t eat dinner and drank a 7Up instead.

On the other side of town, Chris hasn’t been doing much better. Apparently, he only likes to cook when he’s cooking for someone else. When he’s just cooking for himself, he reverts to bad habits as well. In fact, I’m pretty sure he had frozen pizza almost every night this week, but last night I think he made himself a sandwich. Good job, honey.

Thankfully, Chris will be joining me at my aunt and uncle’s next week, so hopefully we’ll start eating like normal again. But first, we have to make it though this Saturday when we have our wedding cake appointment. Because there’s no better way to reward yourself for a week of cheese, donut and pizza-eating than multiple slices of chocolate cake.

Let’s hope after all this, I still fit in my wedding dress.

2 comments:

Melinda said...

So you're saying donut gems and american cheese for dinner is a problem?

What about frozen buffalo wings and apple pie? Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Sarah said...

Whatever dude. You're pregnant. You can eat Milk Duds and onion rings for dinner and blame it on the baby. I have no excuse.

By the way, the combination of buffalo wings and apple pie sounds amazing.