Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Self Portrait Challenge: Introduction



This is how I look when I’m blogging. It’s also how I look when I’m working, watching TV, hanging out or just thinking about stuff. Always the same pose. Always one arm flung over my head.

I didn’t realize I did this until I was in college. In some of my more laid-back classes, we’d be sitting around a table, discussing stuff, and without thinking about it, over my head my arm would go. Apparently that’s how I think best. Unfortunately, flinging your arm over your head also looks a lot like raising your hand. Hence, I got called on a lot in class.

I know where I got this arm-flinging tendency. My dad always sits like this. I remember when I was little, he would sit like this when he was watching TV, and it gave the perfect spot to curl up next to him. His arm would go up, and I’d rest my head on his side. Sometimes as a joke, he’d quickly lower his arm again and trap me, basically with my head stuck in his armpit.

Somewhere growing up, I started sitting like this, too. So did my sister. You should see the three of us watching TV together. All three of us in a row on the couch, all three with our arms flung over our heads.

I’m not sure why we do this. It serves no purpose. But for me, at least, it’s extremely comfortable. It helps me relax and clear my mind. I guess sometimes I sleep like this, too. According to Chris, it looks really goofy. Whatever. As long as I’m comfy and sleeping, I don’t care how I look.

Anyway, I thought this might work as an introduction. So when you read my blog, you know what I look like when I’m reading yours.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah, you realize that DeRosier holds his arms nearly the same way holding the phone...lol!!!!!!! Please break yourself of this immediately for your own mental health

Anonymous said...

i use to play with my eyelashes.

cmccown said...

I just got taken back to 2001, when I would walk into your room on 5th Street. Either Peppers or G&R playing. You in your PJs (me as well), your arm flung over head as we decided which movie to see. Ah, college.

Anonymous said...

I sit just like my father, too. I even hold my mouth the same when I'm playing guitar as he does when playing guitar.